IT probe against CASK- (Catholic Association of South Kanara)

IT probe against CASK- (Catholic Association of South Kanara)

source: The Canara Times

MANGALORE : The Income Tax Department which has accused the Catholic Association of South Kanara (CASK) of tax evasion, has ordered a probe into the same. If the Mangalore Bishop is the patron of CASK, all the day-to-day affairs are monitored by his Marcel Monteiro.

The CASK President had issued three circulars. If the circular dated 1-6-2011 had declared that the Association had earned a revenue of Rs 6,38,600/- through sale of liquor, another circular dated 6-6-2011 had said that 11900 dollars had been received for the centenary fund from Christians in America and Canada. The third circular dated 9-6-2011 had declared that the CASK had received a donation of Rs one crore.

It has been learnt that the CASK had not shown records pertaining to the above funds exceeding Rs 2 crore neither in its statement of accounts nor had paid taxes for the same.Reliable sources revealed that CASK intended to deposit this amount in the name of the office bearers and members of the Association.

The Income Tax Department which has ordered a probe has said that all members and office bearers of the Association as well as the Bishop would be enquired individually and that legal action would also follow.

Advertisements

Pope Benedict hit by new Church child abuse allegations

Pope Benedict hit by new Church child abuse allegations

source: mailed by Prem D’Sa

The Pope is facing allegations he was responsible for delaying Church action against a paedophile priest – the first time he has been accused so directly.

1985 letter with Cardinal Ratzinger's signature

1985 letter with Cardinal Ratzinger's signature

The allegations stem from a letter signed by Benedict XVI in 1985, when he was a senior Vatican official. Associated Press said it had obtained the letter, signed by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, resisting the defrocking of offending US priest Stephen Kiesle. The Vatican says he was exercising due caution before sacking the priest. Cardinal Ratzinger – who was at the time the head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith – said the “good of the universal Church” needed to be considered in any defrocking, AP reported.

Vatican officials say the letter was part of a long correspondence and should not be taken out of context. Vatican spokesman Rev Federico Lombardi said: “The press office doesn’t believe it is necessary to respond to every single document taken out of context regarding particular legal situations.” The allegations come as the Vatican says the Pope is willing to meet more victims of clerical abuse, and as the Vatican prepares to publish a guide on the internet about how bishops should deal with accusations of sexual abuse.

The Catholic Church has been hit by a series of child abuse scandals, including in Ireland, the US, Germany and Norway, and has faced criticism for failing to deal adequately with the problem.

‘Grave significance’

AP says the 1985 correspondence, written in Latin, shows Cardinal Ratzinger saying that Kiesle’s removal would need careful review. Cardinal Ratzinger urged “as much paternal care as possible” for Kiesle. Kiesle was sentenced to six years in prison in 2004 after admitting molesting a young girl in 1995. Kiesle is now 63 and is on the registered sex offenders list in California. On Friday, the Vatican urged Catholic dioceses around the world to co-operate with police investigating sex abuse allegations against priests. Father Lombardi acknowledged that the Church had lost public trust and said Church law could no longer be placed above civil laws if that trust were to be recovered.AP said the Rev Kiesle was sentenced to three years of probation in 1978 for lewd conduct with two young boys in San Francisco. It said the Oakland diocese had recommended Kiesle’s removal in 1981 but that that did not happen until 1987. Cardinal Ratzinger took over the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which at the time dealt with some sex abuse cases, in 1981.

He also said Pope Benedict was prepared to meet more victims of abuse to offer them moral support. BBC religious affairs correspondent Robert Pigott says this is an abrupt change of tone by the Vatican. He says officials had previously accused critics of trying to smear the Pope personally and only last weekend said he should ignore petty gossip directed at him. Meanwhile Italian media have reported that the Vatican is to issue guidelines on its website on Monday on fighting paedophilia. The Vatican has ruled out any possibility of a papal resignation over the scandals.

ANALYSIS

David Willey
By David Willey,
BBC News, Rome

The Vatican claims the letter must be considered in its true context of a lengthy exchange of correspondence between California and Rome about defrocking an American priest who was a known child molester.

The Pope’s critics claim that he stalled and left unanswered for years letters concerning alleged cases of sexual abuse by priests.

American bishops are coming under increasing pressure from their flocks to explain why the church in Rome did not take more robust action or took no action at all.

So they are releasing confidential documents which put the future Pope’s lack of action in a bad light.

The Vatican insists that the Pope was only exercising due caution before sacking a priest for sexual misconduct.

ALLEGATIONS FACING POPE

  • In 1980 as archbishop of Munich and Freising, then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger unwittingly approved housing for a priest accused of child abuse. A former deputy later said he made the decision
  • Cardinal Ratzinger failed to act over complaints during the 1990s about US priest Lawrence Murphy, who is thought to have abused some 200 deaf boys in Wisconsin
  • Cardinal Ratzinger allowed a case against Arizona priest Michael Teta to languish at the Vatican for more than a decade despite repeated pleas for his removal
  • Cardinal Ratzinger resisted the defrocking of California priest Stephen Kiesle, a convicted offender, saying “good of the universal Church” needed to be considered
The Pope’s supporters say he has been unfairly blamed for cases handled by junior staff, and that he has been proactive in addressing child abuse.

German priest admits 280 counts of sexual abuse

German priest admits 280 counts of sexual abuse

source : mailed by Prem D’Sa

BBC mapA German Catholic priest has admitted 280 counts of sexual abuse involving three boys in the past decade, saying he did not think he was doing harm. Named only as Andreas L, the priest told a court in Braunschweig that he had first abused the nine-year-old son of a widowed woman parishioner. After being banned by his diocese from making further contact with the boy, he abused two brothers, aged nine and 13. Thousands of Germans have left the Church over revelations of abuse.

About 180,000 renounced their Catholicism in 2010, up 40% from the previous year, the German broadcaster Deutsche Welle reports. Pope Benedict XVI, a German by birth, briefly met victims of sexual abuse by priests when he visited his native land in September, expressing “deep compassion and regret” at their suffering. Disneyland Paris The priest on trial in Braunschweig faces a minimum prison sentence of between six and six and a half years.

He was arrested during the summer, after the mother of his earlier victim reported him to the authorities.  Continue reading the main story

“Start QuoteIt was never my impression that the children did not consent”

Fr Andreas She acted after her son, now aged 17, revealed to her the abuse he had undergone for two years. Sexual assaults were made on the three boys in various settings: at the priest’s house, on skiing holidays, in a parental home, on a trip to Disneyland Paris and at a church shortly before Mass. The priest, who covered his face with a ring binder as he went into court on Thursday, said that while working in Braunschweig in 2004, he had begun a close relationship with the widow. When Fr Andreas was moved to Salzgitter, her son often spent weekends with him, and the two would go off on short trips. He would give the boy presents such as a camera and a mobile phone.

Abuse would often occur three times a weekend. The priest said it had not been his intention to get close to the boy sexually, and that it had never occurred to him that he was doing harm. Pornographic images When the mother began to suspect her son’s relations with the priest were inappropriately close, she approached the diocese of Hildesheim, the priest’s employer, which forbade further contact with the boy. The abuse of the two brothers then began under similar circumstances, the court heard. After contact with these victims was also forbidden, the priest approached his first victim again, writing him a letter. It was then that the truth about the abuse emerged.

“It was never my impression that the children did not consent,” the priest was quoted as saying at the trial. When asked in court if he was a paedophile, he replied, according to local newspaper Braunschweiger Zeitung: “It would be wrong to say No but to say Yes would also fall short of the truth.” When a prosecutor asked him in court if he thought a “father would do this to his children”, he was silent. About 2,800 pornographic images were found on the priest’s computer, including several of his victims. Correspondents say members of the public who were in the courtroom watched the trial with faces rigid from shock. They included parishioners from St Joseph’s Church in Salzgitter, where Fr Andreas had once been a respected priest, according to Germany’s Spiegel magazine.