The Church should not support illegalities by remaining silent
Marinagar situated in Mahim was one of the many projects on Church land which is mired with illegalities.
Some of the highlights of the said project are:
1. Deal signed in 1991 with builder. Charity Commissioner grants sanction that flats would be sold @ Rs.1500 per sq foot. In reality builder sold flats @ Rs.2200 per sq foot and not carpet but super built up a 710 sq foot flat was sold as 960 sq feet.
2. 3 buildings were to come up A- 12 storied, B- 2/3 storied and C- Ground plus seven in the layout. 3 gardens having a total area of 25% of the plot shown as an amenity for flat purchasers/residents.16 open car parks for flat purchasers
3. Quinny House which was also in Marinagar demolished in 1993 and on the same spot Building C came to be constructed . Occupation Certificate given by BMC in 1996 and Society Registered in 1998. All tenants of Quinny House accomodated in Building C also called Our Lady of Lourdes.FSI of 1.33
4. In 1999 Government of Maharashtra declares Quinny House as an A grade cessed building.
5. In 2007 MHADA conducts an inspection and video shoots consents of 4 persons original tenants of Quinny House who state that they are yet to be rehoused and give affidavits to that effect.
6. MHADA officials give a report that Quinny House is not yet constructed and give a photograph of a garden to show that no construction has begun .
7. Builder granted an increased FSI of 2.5.
7. Church passes a plan on two gardens without the consent of flat purchasers who had purchased flats at rates much above Rs.1800 which was the then prevailing rate.
8.Gardens area reduces from 25% to 8% and 16 car parks disappear in the new plan.
9. Tenants who had been rehoused once permanently and who were members of the Our Lady of Lourdes Society to be rehoused again.
10. Church does not give conveyance of the land to the society within 4 months of society registration. Building A- 2004 and Building C-1998.This is also a criminal offence.
10. Bishop Agnelo Gracias states that the Builder told him that tenants can be rehoused multiple number of times and that we are jealous but refuses to write about this to MHADA.All other builders in Mumbai are fools not to take this benefit of rehousing of tenants again and again.
11. The tenant benefits as his area of the house increases from minimum 180 sq feet to 300 sq feet. The Church gets more money as the FSI increases and the builder laughts his way to the bank.
12. Who loses
The flat purchasers/residents of Marinagar lose their amenities ie the gardens which they had paid for and and which belongs to them.
There will a much greater density of residents on the same land area.
There will be a strain on the infrastructure.
My question should the Church remain a silent spectator merely because it would stand to benefit in terms of money?
What is the difference between the Church and a corrupt businessman?
In true Christian spirit we have been writing and meeting Church authorities since the year 2008 but the church authorities have turned a blind eye but not a single problem has been signed.
Its sad but the sanctity of even Churches have been destroyed.One such instance was the Mass was used to defame Mr. Gordon Jacobs one of the persons who was supporting the Marinagar Cause. This is a grave liturgical abuse. Till today nothing has been done.
Remaining silent amounts to supporting corruption as the buck stops at the Archbishops table.