Nigerian Priest Jailed For 8 Months In UK For S*xual Assault

Nigerian Priest Jailed For 8 Months In UK For S*xual Assault

adei returned to Nigeria before moving to London, returning briefly to Leyland to apologise for his actions. But knowing that he was wanted for questioning, he left the UK again, following the death of his father and did not return until he was arrested at Heathrow Airport while on a transit flight to the USA in December 2014 – 12 months after the offence.

Claire Jones, defending, said: “He yearns to return to his country and has learned a salutary lesson. He can no longer carry on in this vein.

“He has been asked to leave the church and also it has shaken his faith going through this experience.”

She insisted there was no evidence to suggest he tried to stop the victim from leaving the bedroom during the time of the assault.

Judge Michael Byrne read out excerpts from the victim’s impact statement, where she told of feeling intimidated and scared to bump into Nwadei.

Sentencing, he said: “I make it unequivocally plain that all incidents of s*xual assault always regarded as serious.”

He said although the crime was at the lower end of the scale, it has two aggravating features – it was a breach of trust for a minister of religion, and that the invitation to his bedroom was for the purpose of a s*xual encounter.

Reflecting his guilty plea, Judge Byrne jailed him for eight months with a £100 statutory charge. Nwadei will be put on the s*x offenders’ register for 10 years, and will be deported from the UK immediately after his jail term expires. DS Carl Matthews “This was a despicable crime committed by Nwadei who then tried to flee from facing the consequences of his actions. I hope that today’s sentence brings some closure to his victim who has been supported by specially trained officers throughout the process.”

A spokesman for the Catholic Archdiocese of Liverpool said: “Father Ogom came to England to undertake further studies in Law at the University of Central Lancashire having received an appropriate Testimonial of Suitability for Ordained Ministry from the Bishop of Issele-Uku.

“During his stay in this country he resided in the Archdiocese of Liverpool at St Mary’s, Leyland.

“The case came to light when the victim reported the matter to the Safeguarding Department of the Archdiocese. It was immediately referred to Lancashire Police.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s